Ricky Martin spoke out about allegations of stalking made by his 21-year-old nephew after the case for a restraining order against the Puerto Rican singer was archived — effectively closed — at a hearing Thursday morning.
“I have almost four decades working on the stage, in the public eye. I’ve never, never had to deal with anything as painful as what I’ve been dealing with in the last two weeks,” Martin said in Spanish in a video shared with Insider.
Martin was issued a protective order earlier this month after a petitioner told the court he had stalked him after their seven sexual relationship ended. The petitioner asked for the case to be closed Thursday, the court’s spokeswoman told Insider.
The person who filed the complaint is Martin’s 21-year-old nephew, according to the singer’s attorney.
“Lies cause a lot of damage — a lot of damage to me, my children, my husband, my parents, my whole family,” he added. “Today, it’s my time to heal because I’m in pain. I’ll find the calm and the silence necessary to once again see the light at the end of the road, like I’ve always done.”
Police in Puerto Rico told Insider that Martin has never been under criminal investigation over the allegations as nobody filed a complaint with the department.